Monday, January 23, 2012

Quickish Quiche

Quiche is something you can never get enough of. In my opinion anyway. It's the perfect snack, but is equally tasty as a main meal served with a salad. Another French delicacy actually and they really do know how to do them here! The great thing about them too is that you can just bung anything in them (within reason of course). I'm a little bit keen when it comes to making sure I eat my 5-a-day, so what better way to eat them than in a quiche! This recipe is one of those make-it-up-as-you-go-along types - my favourite sort probably. Normally, I like to make my own pastry if I have the time, but my kitchen here has very limited surface space so I bought some ready-made. What's great about being in France is that they sell it already rolled out in the right sized circle! So that saves a lot of time and effort (although I do love making pastry, even if it is a little frustrating at times!). Here's my very simple quiche recipe. Voilà...enjoy.

Lardon, Goat's Cheese and Various Veg Quiche Serves about 4-6 (depending on how hungry you're feeling!)

Ingredients:
 
200g short crust pastry
4 eggs
200ml milk
2 tsp cr
ème fraîche
100g lardons
100g grated cheddar cheese
A couple of florets of broccoli
1/4 red pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
50g goat's cheese, sliced
Whatever other veg you fancy!
Salt and pepper

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
  2. Line a flan/quiche tin with the pastry.
  3. Cover with greaseproof paper and tip baking beans in.
  4. Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, boil the broccoli for about 5 minutes.
  6. Gently fry the lardons, onion and pepper until cooked.
  7. Beat the eggs together.
  8. Add milk and crème fraîche to the eggs, then mix again.
  9. Season with salt and pepper.
  10. Take the pastry out of the oven and remove the baking beans and greaseproof paper.
  11. Tip the lardons and veg into the pastry case, along with the slices of goat's cheese.
  12. Pour the egg mixture on top.
  13. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
  14. Place in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the egg mixture has set and it is golden brown.
  15. Enjoy!
Lasts several days in the fridge too. And might even taste better actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment