Monday, April 16, 2012

Broccoli and Cheese Soup. So Simple but So Delicious.


Ahhh soup. Probably the easiest thing you can possibly make, yet I rarely think to give it a go. And with the right seasoning, it's just so tasty. As my Grandad used to say, "cooking is just passing heat through food" and with this recipe, this saying really is true! I can't think where you could go wrong - bung everything in a pan, cook it, give it the odd stir and basically that's all there is to it. You don't even need a food processor, unless you want it to be perfectly smooth. But actually, I prefer it with a few chunks in and a bit of a bite. There's nothing more satisfying than tucking into a bowl full of heart-warming soup...and with the addition of a sprinkling of croutons from a French baguette, I don't think you could wish for a more perfect lunch. In fact, I think broccoli may just be my new favourite soup flavour, you know. The French seem to stick to onions when doing soup (which tastes pretty amazing, actually), so if you want a good chunky soup that hasn't been made by those who wear berets and stripy T-shirts when you're in France, then you'll have to make your own. I say this as if it's a chore. It definitely isn't. After making this you'll never want to buy soup from a tin again.

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Ingredients:
2 Chopped Onions
2tbsp Butter
1 Medium Broccoli
500ml Vegetable Stock (I actually used chicken which gave an extra flavour!)
85g Cheddar Cheese (or any hard cheese would work fine - I used Emmental)
150ml Single Cream (I used half milk, half cream which makes it slightly healthier!)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:
  1. In a pan gently fry the onions. 
  2. Trim and chop the broccoli, add to the pan and heat for 2 minutes.
  3. Add stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Season to taste.
  5. Stir in cheese and cream and heat gently.
  6. Serve with a sprinkling of croutons and enjoy!
And it's ready in only six steps! That's got to be a record. So there really is no excuse for not making it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment