Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Macaron Mayhem

 
What my macarons should have looked like!

Today was the day: I was going to make macarons! Since being in France, I've seen these little delicacies absolutely everywhere in every colour you could possibly imagine, calling out to me and asking to be eaten. Those brightly coloured, meringue-based beauties just staring out from the windows of so many patisseries. But actually, it was only a couple of weeks ago that I tried one for the first time. I was at one of my beloved French markets when I was offered a sample by a rather gorgeous looking French man as it happens. I fell in love (with the macaron, not the man). It was pistachio flavour, but I think any would have been wonderful. Light and crumbly, sticky and crunchy - a perfect little cake that just melts in your mouth. I finally bought one for myself from a Paul in Aix last week and for quite some time now I've been desperate to give them a go. I knew it was quite a challenge, but one that I was definitely up for if it meant that I would be able to recreate these tasty delights whenever I wanted!

It was all going as planned at first. The mixture was coming along nicely and I was even provided with an electric whisk, thanks to my friend Hannah's more modern kitchen, where we were baking. However, what I failed to remember is that she is lacking in baking trays. Of course, this did not phase us and we improvised with cardboard wrapped in greaseproof paper. We'd found a solution and everything was back on track. In went the macarons for about 10 minutes and we took them out to cool. What we'd completely forgotten about though was the fact that baking trays are metal, so heat up far quicker than cardboard and this is actually a vital part of cooking on metal baking trays. So it wasn't surprising when the bottoms of the macarons were nowhere near cooked and still very much soft and gooey. The tops were crispy like they should be, but underneath they just weren't right. It was too late to save them and my poor macarons were a failure. I was more than a little disappointed to say the least. And all because of a stupid baking tray. What can I say? Never try baking without a metal baking tray...the clue's in the name I guess!

Fear not though, I will not let this put me off! Making macarons before I leave France WILL happen and they WILL be just as perfect as shop-bought ones. I'd like to hope so anyway. I tried making another French delicacy this evening instead so let's just pray that they're a bit more of a success...watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment