Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Rhubarb Lemonade


I'm dedicating this week's posts to rhubarb. Yes, those green and pink stalks that hide beneath their umbrella leaves that surely don't deserve to have their own week devoted to them. And I was guilty too of ignoring this somewhat forgotten plant, because let's face it, it's inedible unless it has been cooked with far too much sugar and the only time I ever eat it is in a crumble with custard. But let's not forget, I think anything tastes good with custard. Yet since we my dad has started growing it in the garden, I've discovered that I actually like its delicate flavour and there's a surprising number of recipes that you can use it in. So put aside your rhubarb prejudices, as today I am going to share with you this refreshing rhubarb lemonade - perfect for a blissful English summer day, that the weather has finally decided to provide lots of recently...! 


Strictly speaking, I guess I shouldn't really be including this recipe on here, because it doesn't actually involve any baking. But when it's this hot, who actually wants to be stuck inside next to a hot oven? No, I'd much rather prefer to be sitting in the shade, reading a book and sipping a cooling drink, making the most of not having anything to do for once! Making this lemonade is so easy, that I promise even in this debilitating heat when the thought of any sort of exercise makes you just feel tired, you'll be able to muster up the strength to make this. What's even better about this drink is that with a splash or two of rum, it turns into a wonderfully delicious cocktail, the perfect remedy after a hard day sitting in the sunshine. Try this and you will change your mind about how you feel towards rhubarb. Promise. 


Oh, and depending on the exact type of rhubarb you use, I like to add a few drops of red food colouring to make it look a bit more appetising. Mine was mostly green and looked more like dirty water than a fancy cocktail when I'd finished it, so I cheated with the colour! Whoever said looks don't matter was lying a little bit, because nobody really wants to drink anything that looks like it's been taken from a muddy pond...!

Rhubarb Lemonade (from thebitehouse.com)

Ingredients:
6 cups of water
1 cup rhubarb stems, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
A few drops of red food colouring
A small handful of fresh mint

Method:
  1. In a saucepan, simmer the rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice until soft on a medium heat. 
  2. Transfer to a bowl and blend with a hand mixer. 
  3. Add the water and a few drops of food colouring and stir.
  4. Cool in the fridge.
  5. Serve with a few sprigs of mint, lots of ice and enjoy!



1 comment: