I had an urge to bake a cake yesterday. As you do. Well as I do anyway and after getting so wrapped up in The Great British Bake Off recently but not having enough time to bake, ignoring this urge was just not an option. I think seeing all their wonderful cake creations on there inspired me to make a cake just for the sake of it! Because who says a cake has to be for a special occasion? I definitely don't need an excuse to eat cake...
The end result was not a disappointment and I think this will be something I will be making again. Sitting down to a slab of coconut orange cake and a cup of tea whilst listening to the wind howling around outside is my idea of a Sunday afternoon...
225g Self Raising Flour
100g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
50g Dessicated Coconut
3tbsp Coconut Milk
1 Orange, grated rind and juice
250g Icing Sugar
80g Unsalted Butter
2tbsp Coconut Milk
1tbsp Orange juice
Zest of half an orange
- Grease and line 2 cake tins.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix flour and salt together and rub in margarine.
- Stir in sugar, coconut and orange zest.
- Beat together eggs, orange juice and coconut milk.
- Mix together to a soft consistency.
- Place in prepared tins for about half an hour, until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from tins and allow to cool.
- Whilst cakes are cooling make the icing by mixing the icing sugar and butter together with an electric whisk until combined.
- Add the coconut milk, orange juice and zest and mix again until light and fluffy.
- Once cakes have cooled, spread just under half the icing on top of one of the cakes.
- Sandwich the other cake on top and spread the top and sides with the remaining icing.
- Sprinkle with some orange zest and toasted coconut then cut yourself a generous slice and enjoy!