Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Spiced Iced Apple Buns


This post has been ready to write for a while now - it's just finding the time to get round to it! Anyway, here goes... As I mentioned in my previous post, we've had a glut of apples from our apple tree so I tried to be experimental and find something a bit out of the ordinary to make with them. With the help of my best friend foodgawker (which if you love to salivate over lots of delicious-looking recipes, is definitely the website for you!) I came across this very autumnal recipe for baked doughnuts. The combination of cinnamon, apple and maple syrup instantly appealed to me and I just had to give it a go! I don't think you can beat these flavours put together, especially at this time of year as the weather is starting to feel a bit more blustery and the leaves are starting to turn those beautiful shades of red and orange. I do love Autumn. 


But you may be wondering why I've not actually called these little buns doughnuts. Well that's because they didn't really taste much like doughnuts, not like any doughnuts I've ever tasted anyway! Don't get me wrong, they tasted wonderful and it was like taking a bite of autumn with every mouthful, but they just weren't quite how I'd imagined. As my cousin (who is 11) said to me after eating one, they failed as doughnuts, but they tasted even nicer! I like how he put that and I think it was a quick comeback after seeing my hurt face after he'd said the word 'failed'! But I have to agree with him - they did fail as doughnuts, although they did succeed as iced buns!!


I'm not quite sure how you can make doughnuts taste like doughnuts if you're not frying them, but when it said they were baked I was intrigued...I will be on the lookout for another baked doughnut recipe I think. Another good thing about them I guess, is that they really are quite healthy. Aside from the maple syrup you use to sweeten them, the tiny bit of oil and the icing sugar on the glaze, there's really not a lot of anything you shouldn't be eating in there. Which gives you an excuse to make lots of them! Oh and if you're wondering how I got the holes in the middle since I don't have a doughnut pan, I used a muffin tin and put a ball of foil in each cup which kind of worked for most of them....It was all a bit of an experiment anyway, but I definitely urge you to give them a go! 


Spiced Iced Apple Buns

Ingredients:
Buns
130g Plain Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Salt
100g Maple Syrup
60ml Apple Cider
90g Apple Sauce
1tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Icing
130g Icing Sugar
2 tbsp Apple Cider
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
50g Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Nutmeg

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
  2. Grease muffin tin and place foil balls inside each cup.
  3. Combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt in a bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, apple cider, apple sauce, oil and vanilla extract.
  5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  6. Spoon or pipe mixture into muffin cups.
  7. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the dough springs back when pressed.
  8. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
  9. To make the glaze mix the cider and icing sugar together in a small bowl.
  10. In another bowl combine the sugar and spices for the topping.
  11. Dip the top of each bun into the glaze and sprinkle with the sugar topping.
  12. Allow to set and enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Delicious! as always. Rach you are a great baker. Maman x

    ReplyDelete